Cold and flu viruses account for the majority of the 150 million (approx.) working days lost each year in the UK due to absence. It’s no surprise when you read these facts about what could be lurking on your desktop.
• An average office contains around 500 different species of bacteria.
• Office desks have 400 times more bacteria than toilet seats.
• Telephones have the most germs, followed by office chairs.
• The authorities would shut down an eatery that had surfaces of more than 700 bacteria per square inch. An office phone can have more than 25,000 bacteria per sq. inch.
• Other hotspots are tap handles, microwave doors, keyboards and vending machine buttons.
• Men’s desks contain more bacteria than women’s (sorry guys…the study by National Geographic puts it down to the fact that men are larger in size).
• The average person touches about 300 surfaces every 30 minutes while working.
• Cold and flu viruses can survive for up to 3 days on desktop surfaces.